From Hitler to Pinochet and beyond, history shows there are certain steps that any would-be dictator must take to destroy constitutional freedoms, wrote author Naomi Wolf back in April for the Guardian. Her new book, The End of America: Letter of Warning To A Young Patriot details each and every of these steps, all of which the Bush administration has already initiated and are being developed in the US. For a year and a half now, every time Wolf gets on a plane she would have a high security risk symbol stamped on her boarding pass. She’s “on the list” for criticizing the Bush administration.
Download the introduction to her book here (PDF file).
These 10 steps listed by Wolf are:
1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy.
2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place.
3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens.
4. Set up an internal surveillance system.
5. Harass citizens’ groups.
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release.
7. Target key individuals.
8. Control the press.
9. Declare all dissent to be treason.
10. Suspend the rule of law.
Please watch this video in which Wolf describes these 10 steps, being “on the list”, and finding a letter from the Homeland Security in her suitcase.